Pursuing the pages of the latest issue of Apartamento magazine, we spied new work from photographer and soon-to-be speaker at our upcoming Here conference, Carlota Guerrero. In the photographer’s increasingly familiar style, the series depicts three women wearing only white underwear and powder-based paint.
The concept behind the feature is explained best in Alejandra Smit’s introduction. “We are moving through a cultural moment in which terms like ‘privacy’, ‘nudity’, ‘marketing’, ‘gender’ are being questioned,” Alejandra says. “For artists of all disciplines, the only way to reinvent these concepts is moving towards them, like scientists carrying out trial and error experiments until reaching an answer. We sat down to speak with experimental artist Soraya Rosales, photographer and art director Carlota Guerrero, and Paloma Lanna, who lends her name and creative direction to the clothing brand Paloma Wool. Beyond the differences and similarities, their work emits a unified call for an organic revolution, based upon action and born of acceptance."
“The photos were trying to express the idea that we, women on the internet, are owning our bodies, using them as canvas to express things, not because men want it to but because we have things to say, and they don’t have to be related to sex,” Carlota told It’s Nice That. “So we were painting ourselves in earthy colours, with natural pigments, and portraying us with natural light and a honest gaze.
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s