Gem Fletcher, director of photography for Riposte, is also an established art director in her own right. At Nicer Tuesdays, she shared some of her dynamic personal work and insights into the magazine’s much-lauded recent cover shoot by featuring a topless Ericka Hart.
Gem took us through her experiences with commissioning photography and working with the Riposte team, including the sourcing of a “flawless” photographer for the shoot with Ericka, Shaniqwa Jarvis. Her talk was a true vision into her “both brilliant and stressful” day-to-day, and what the team are aiming for with its pioneering output. “When the magazine started it was about cool and interesting women doing cool and interesting things. In this weirdest of weird times, that doesn’t feel like enough now,” she explains. “Making an indie magazine is a true labour of love.” Watch the full film above to hear more from Gem.
- Standards Manual return with catalogue of 400 objects relating to New York City Transit
- Emma King's publication rewrites Orwell's "1984" using Donald Trump's tweets
- It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day – it’s Best of the Web!
- Bolade Banjo photographs the perseverance of Detroit’s student athletes
- Alex Grigg animates Steve Stoute’s homage to Biggie Smalls
- Billy Clark applies his graphic sensibilities to his minimal yet textured illustrations
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books