Gem Fletcher, director of photography for Riposte, is also an established art director in her own right. At Nicer Tuesdays, she shared some of her dynamic personal work and insights into the magazine’s much-lauded recent cover shoot by featuring a topless Ericka Hart.
Gem took us through her experiences with commissioning photography and working with the Riposte team, including the sourcing of a “flawless” photographer for the shoot with Ericka, Shaniqwa Jarvis. Her talk was a true vision into her “both brilliant and stressful” day-to-day, and what the team are aiming for with its pioneering output. “When the magazine started it was about cool and interesting women doing cool and interesting things. In this weirdest of weird times, that doesn’t feel like enough now,” she explains. “Making an indie magazine is a true labour of love.” Watch the full film above to hear more from Gem.
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s