“Mami Wata” is west African pidgin English for “Mama Water” or “Mother Ocean”, and the name of a Cape Town-based surf brand started by Nick and Tilly Dutton. This week, the global brand released Woza – The African surf film a mysterious in-house brand film directed by Argentinians Pato Martinez and Francisco Canton from directors’ collective Pantera. Shot across seven days in Durban, South Africa, and Ponto Do Ouro, Mozambique, the five-minute long film tells the tale of an African surfer who has been taken as a lover by the mermaid Mami Water.
“From Madagascar to Morocco, Liberia to Mozambique, Mami Wata is the legend of the African water spirit that appears in the shape of a mermaid,” Nick and Tilly explain. “It is said that those who she takes for her lovers, return with a new spirit and become more successful and good looking."
“I hear ocean, day and night, like a heartbeat,” the film’s narrative begins as we watch the protagonist 22 year-old Transkei surfer, Avuyile Ndamase make his way towards the sea. Daylight slides towards night and we dance between sleep and wakefulness as reality is replaced by dreams. The surf narrative is spliced with shots of children driving dusty rally cars, a dancing man and a shark. The camera lens lingers on the expressionless faces of characters frozen surreally as if mid-motion. “The power that we get from the seas will change you in strange ways,” the film’s subtitles warn.
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos