In the second instalment of a short film series commissioned by Lufthansa, director Christine Yuan and photographer Meredith Jenks have created a film that follows New York-based jewellery designer Arpana Rayamajhi to her former home in Nepal. Titled The Colours of Home the film explores the concept of “heimweh” – a German term figuratively describing a melancholic version of having a strong bond to a place.
The film, shot over the course of a week in high definition, sees the designer visit her homeland, sharing her story of how she came to leave and deal with the topics of belonging, heimweh and longing for her childhood home and her cultural roots in Nepal.
We see Arpana contemplate the vast, epic landscape of the Himalayas and Mount Everest, as well as her journey through remote towns such as Pokhara. Arriving back at her hometown of Kathmandu, the designer seeks to re-establish her personal and creative identity through the heritage of strong Nepali women.
The campaign, #inspiredby HEIMWEH, launched last October with a video about two brothers from Japan who now reside in Denmark.
With the #inspiredby HEIMWEH campaign, Lufthansa aims to showcase personal definitions of home and the feeling of belonging of individuals who are part of a fast-changing world. The intended result is to recognise the potential of travel to form identity while changing direction: not to travel away from a place, but towards it.
- Helen Eunhwa Oh’s vivid illustrations draw the eccentricities from everyday life
- Diane Deschenaux’s abstract images explore Switzerland's farming industry
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy