27-year old illustrator Leander Assmann comes from Stuttgart in Germany, where he is currently studying communication design at the celebrated Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design.
“The academy is known for creating strong graphic design and illustration work, and my way of making images is influenced by that,” Leander tells It’s Nice That. “Also screen printing is a big influence in my work, since the former professor of what is now Patrick Thomas’ class was Niklaus Troxler, who left a big foot print in creating powerful silkscreen posters, which in my case led to clean graphics and reduced and bold colour schemes.”
Similar in style to illustrators like Andy Rementer and Martina Paukova, Leander’s work brings together paired-back shapes and patterns in an unusual colour palette to create off-kilter observations, often featuring surreal and anthropomorphic elements. “I try to keep my work process and images simple and clear to intensify the message,” Leander says. “Although my work is mostly digital, analog systems are as important to me. I love to draw through out the whole day, and I am fascinated by silk screen printing and risograph printing when it comes to haptic and colours.”
“I’m influenced by art movements like Bauhaus, constructivism, op and pop art, and art in general, as well as by design and illustration from the Netherlands, like Joost Swarte. I also love the work of Henning Wagenbreth, and many other talented illustrators from all over the world.”
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos