With new-build apartments and houses popping up all over the landscape at incredible speed, it’s so interesting to see a project that focuses on true artistry and craft in architecture. Following on from the Hayam Sun Temple Josh Haywood and his team built last year at Burning Man festival in Nevada, the team hopes to construct a new installation titled Arbour.
Taking on the colossal scale of Burning Man again, this latest proposed artwork is inspired by “the geometry of sacred architecture.” With the aim to create a miniature cathedral in the desert, the installation has its roots in medieval rib vaulting, an arched form architects at the time used to create lightness and elevate spirits.
The methods used to create this structure are far from medieval, as Josh explains on his Kickstarter page: “We have digitalised these geometries and manipulated them in parametric models to design a contemporary structure that achieves the same objective.” The renders are impressive, with intricate trunk-like masts all interlinking via a delicate canopy of laser-cut plywood. If the Kickstarter project reaches it’s full pledge amount, this dazzling structure will appear in all its glory in the Nevada desert to provide a gateway to contemplate the world.
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos