We’ve been admiring the work of fashion and portrait photographer Piczo from afar for some years now, so we were pleased to hear that he’s joined forces with the excellent London-based photographic agency WeFolk, who look after the likes of It’s Nice That faves Juno Calypso, Lena C. Emery, Carlota Guerrero, Pieter Hugo, Viviane Sassen and Ewen Spencer.
The mononymous Japanese-born photographer first came to London back in the early ‘00s — “I came here to study English and photography. It was 13 years ago” — cutting his teeth at fashion mags Jalouse, i-D, Grind, Tomorrow, Unfolp and Union. His laid-back, effortlessly cool portrait style soon got him noticed, winning him a cool 67k Instagram followers, and of course a place alongside some of the world’s best photographers. “A small Japanese photographer is on the same page of great photographers!” he says.
Among his favourite recent projects, he notes Jalouse magazine’s April issue, Grind magazine’s Y-3 feature and a campaign for Wooyoungmi which he notes is “always exciting!” Up next is a shoot with Sisters Uncut for i-D (“it was fun, and good to meet them and know who they are”), alongside Union and Metal magazines. “I might make a book for my portraits story and I might have an exhibition with Union in Tokyo again, but both are not confirmed!” he says. Watch this space.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know