Jan Buchczik is back! The formidable illustrational talent of Jan is a regular on It’s Nice That and this time he has teamed with another firm favourite, Chicago-based publishers Tan & Loose Press.
Of Coursica is a new zine from Jan and is “a collection of riso-printed drawings based on the phenomenon of the jet lagged mind wandering off while you are travelling and exploring new places,” the illustrator explains. The mind altering feeling of not knowing where, or what time zone you’re in is illustrated by Jan through “tired eyes rendering the most mundane scenes into mirages and just for a second the mind seems to burst through reality”.
Suitably, “the ideas for this series were collected while I was on vacation,” Jan tells It’s Nice That. “I thought it would great to have the drawings in some kind of book form, like a photo album some people make of their holiday photos.” The wobbled narrative of Jan’s zine, someone smoking a curvy elongated cigarette or a gigantic wave forming out of a bath, is balanced with a nuanced selection of simple, primary colours.
A short text introduces the publication inspired by an article the illustrator read, “on jet lag and how every organ takes a different time to adjust to a new timezone”. Together, Jan’s illustrational style, the context of the publication, introductory text stating, “by the time our mind arrives it is time to check out again,” and even the zine’s title is a smile inducing, warped and wonderful collection of drawings.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU