Jan Buchczik is back! The formidable illustrational talent of Jan is a regular on It’s Nice That and this time he has teamed with another firm favourite, Chicago-based publishers Tan & Loose Press.
Of Coursica is a new zine from Jan and is “a collection of riso-printed drawings based on the phenomenon of the jet lagged mind wandering off while you are travelling and exploring new places,” the illustrator explains. The mind altering feeling of not knowing where, or what time zone you’re in is illustrated by Jan through “tired eyes rendering the most mundane scenes into mirages and just for a second the mind seems to burst through reality”.
Suitably, “the ideas for this series were collected while I was on vacation,” Jan tells It’s Nice That. “I thought it would great to have the drawings in some kind of book form, like a photo album some people make of their holiday photos.” The wobbled narrative of Jan’s zine, someone smoking a curvy elongated cigarette or a gigantic wave forming out of a bath, is balanced with a nuanced selection of simple, primary colours.
A short text introduces the publication inspired by an article the illustrator read, “on jet lag and how every organ takes a different time to adjust to a new timezone”. Together, Jan’s illustrational style, the context of the publication, introductory text stating, “by the time our mind arrives it is time to check out again,” and even the zine’s title is a smile inducing, warped and wonderful collection of drawings.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design