Los Angeles-based animator and designer Jamie Wolfe has created this fun and hypnotic music video for artist Sneaks AKA Eva Moolchan. With beautifully haphazard linework that mimics the beats of the track, Jamie’s characters rhythmically melt into each other like coloured wax. “Working with Sneaks was a dreamy opportunity! She packs so much complexity into her music on the backbone of her minimalist rhythms. She really brings you into an alternate universe. I wanted the music video to reflect that,” explains Jamie.
The changeable shape of her characters allows smooth and unexpected transitions into new scenes, like when a pair of boobs morphs into cascading waves. “I knew I wanted the video to feel a bit psychedelic/surreal in its flow, so at the beginning I spent a lot of time playing the song on repeat and drawing everything that came to mind,” says Jamie. “I spread all those drawings out on the floor, plucked my favourites, and animated them. I used loops to play up the repetition in the song.” Jamie’s colours are bright and rich, reminiscent of old comic books and her figures gyrate and move on a backdrop of subtle rainbow gradient, which enhances this nostalgic vibe.
Short and sweet at around one and half minutes, the oddly humorous loops of animation show Jamie’s offbeat style that she’s developing while attending Calarts as an MFA student on the Experimental Animation programme.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s