We’re well aware that after the festive break it is imperative to come back in style with something very special to whet your creative whistles for the year ahead, and my word have we got just the thing. Photographer Dan Tobin Smith and designer Rachel Thomas are opening a new show in London later this month which features beautiful, otherworldly photographs of polystyrene stage sets. From magical floating cities (photographed on an eight metre square lake of milk) to classical ruins there’s a delicate filmic quality and all sense of scale is subverted.
“We were looking to create forms that are instantly recognisable, but also uncanny and able to convey the seductiveness that only comes from something that’s not quite real,” Rachel says and their artistic aims are achieved thanks to the pair’s work with “arial perspective” whereby light is bounced off smoke particles in the air to create the epic, ethereal atmosphere.
And this sense of drama extends to their process according to Dan. “We love to refine images in camera, he says. "Light, exposure, perspective — all the elements come together in the studio, it is pretty intense. It’s an event”.
Imaginary View which also features the models used in the shoots runs at Somerset House from January 18 until February 9.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc