Because truly brilliant design is so important, those creatives who hold themselves to a higher standard and go above and beyond the everyday are especially inspiring. On 18 March we’ll be holding a special event to celebrate those practitioners whose pursuit of brilliance defines what they do, to mark the UK launch of the new HTC One M9 phone.
The east London event will bring together four design thinkers whose work is characterised by its intelligence, ambition and creative purity. We’ll be welcoming digital pioneer and founder of POKE London Nicholas Roope, whose Hulger company was also behind the multi-award winning Plumen lightbulb, and we’ll be joined by Australian body-architect Lucy McRae, whose incredible work has been commissioned by major companies and leading artists alike. Sam Jacob – an architect and writer who combines erudition and imagination to equal effect – will be speaking, and the line-up is completed by HTC’s creative director Daniel Hundt, talking about his design background that contributed to the award-winning HTC One series.
Each will give a short talk about how the “pursuit of brilliance” impacts and inspires their diverse creative practices, after which there’ll be a panel discussion between the speakers to compare and contrast their different approaches and a chance for the audience to ask questions.
The event takes place at the Protein Space in Shoreditch on Wednesday March 18. Tickets are free and can be reserved at the Eventbrite page here or below.
- Helen Eunhwa Oh’s vivid illustrations draw the eccentricities from everyday life
- Diane Deschenaux’s abstract images explore Switzerland's farming industry
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy