Because truly brilliant design is so important, those creatives who hold themselves to a higher standard and go above and beyond the everyday are especially inspiring. On 18 March we’ll be holding a special event to celebrate those practitioners whose pursuit of brilliance defines what they do, to mark the UK launch of the new HTC One M9 phone.
The east London event will bring together four design thinkers whose work is characterised by its intelligence, ambition and creative purity. We’ll be welcoming digital pioneer and founder of POKE London Nicholas Roope, whose Hulger company was also behind the multi-award winning Plumen lightbulb, and we’ll be joined by Australian body-architect Lucy McRae, whose incredible work has been commissioned by major companies and leading artists alike. Sam Jacob – an architect and writer who combines erudition and imagination to equal effect – will be speaking, and the line-up is completed by HTC’s creative director Daniel Hundt, talking about his design background that contributed to the award-winning HTC One series.
Each will give a short talk about how the “pursuit of brilliance” impacts and inspires their diverse creative practices, after which there’ll be a panel discussion between the speakers to compare and contrast their different approaches and a chance for the audience to ask questions.
The event takes place at the Protein Space in Shoreditch on Wednesday March 18. Tickets are free and can be reserved at the Eventbrite page here or below.
- Parterre de Rois: the Black issue features Anish Kapoor and Nina Chanel Abney
- Noah Beckwith’s experimental approach to his “stream-of-consciousness” posters
- Talya Modlin shares illustrated gems from her sketchbook
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors
- The exploratory and exciting typefaces of Out of the Dark
- MullenLowe Group’s Global Creative Officer José Miguel Sokoloff on judging CSM's degree shows
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris