Animator Haein Kim is currently a student at University of Technology Sydney and for her end of year project she’s created Forward. The short animation tells the story of a couple reaching a crossroads in their relationship, where the guy coyly asks the girl: “Would you sit on my face?” She responds with: “What, like a pillow?” and the viewer is then taken on a surreal dream-like experience where the protagonist imagines all sorts of bottom and face scenarios.
While the subject matter may initially seem crass, Haein treats it with humour and it’s oddly the perfect backdrop to show off the skills she’s been honing. Throughout, there’s smooth, well-executed transitions from various orifices and body parts into objects and faces. The peppy pace also keeps the action ticking along, which is helped by Haein blending together interesting crops and compositions.
At just over a minute long, Haein shows real skill in conveying the character’s personalities, through amusing expressions and well-timed movements. Her style is vibrant and fresh, and the whole film is a unique exploration of someone’s innermost desires.
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- Studio Frith on designing Alexa Chung's "formal but playful" fashion label
- Nathaniel Russell adapts his woodcut technique to create positive propaganda posters
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc