For most of us the world of coding seems wholly impenetrable. We know how to navigate the internet and any number of applications but haven’t the slightest clue how they’re all built. In fact the very notion of building anything digitally seems frankly terrifying. But we’ve got news for you, it doesn’t need to be like that – digital technology is here to stay and it’s probably about time you got to know your front end from your back, your UI from your UX and your HTML5 from your CSS3.
Which is where General Assembly come in. Established in New York in 2011 they’re a global educational institution focussed on providing tailored education to those looking to brush up on their coding skill, through classes, workshops, full-time immersive programmes and online educational programming.
So whether you’re looking to learn more about front-end web development, need a leg-up in the world of user experience design, or want to completely change career paths by taking an immersive course and qualifying as a full-time UX designer, the guys at General Assembly most likely have a course for you. And it’s not just tech geeks that are catered for, these courses are tailored to graphic designers, creative directors, journalists, architects and recent graduates.
For more information about what General Assembly has to offer, check out their list of programmes, or head down to their campus for one of their introductory free events.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design