Next weekend (5 August 2017), Visions runs the fifth edition of its festival around venues in London Fields and other parts of Hackney, London.
With a history of eclectic line ups, the day festival not only showcases bands but has an infamous dog show, a tattoo exhibition, screen printing sessions and a punk rock edition of karaoke. On top of these staple events, the festival will also hold a crepe cook-off between musicians Frankie Cosmos and Kero Kero Bonito, films at the Institute of Light (including one by Joan Cornella), and a bunch of after parties to attend too.
To get your ready for the festival, the Visions team have compiled a mixtape of acts to get excited about.
Why have you picked these songs?
We are really excited to host such a great mix of artists, it’s what Visions is all about. We wanted our playlist to illustrate this.
When should this mixtape be listened to?
In the sun or in a sweaty basement with an ice cold beer.
Who are you looking forward to seeing this year?
Liars performing tracks from their upcoming album.
What song or album is consistently being played in office?
Frankie Cosmos – If I Had A Dog ,while taking pictures of Otto, the Bird On The Wire office dog.
If a film was to be made about Visions festival, what song would play on the trailer?
Spiderbait – Calypso.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc