We’ve long been fans of the illustration, design and animation work of California-based artist Robbie Simon, but this time his talented hands are curating this week’s Friday Mixtape.
A contributing member of Reverberation Radio, who take it in turns making their own playlists each week, Robbie has made us a mix to listen to in the early hours of your night out ahead…
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
I do a music project with some friends called Reverberation Radio. A couple of us recently went to DJ some gigs in Bali so a lot of these tracks are ones I pulled to play out while out there. But, I made this mix with a different theme. This is a mixtape for the “Middle of the night and still at the studio” delirious dance parties. When you’ve been there since 9am, no end in sight, things are bound to get a little wiggy and you might as well enjoy it.
What artist do you listen to that you turn your Spotify to private for?
Shit. I didn’t know Spotify could be set to private so it might be too late to save my reputation.
What do you listen to while working?
When working I developed a cycle between music, political podcasts and basketball podcasts. Start with music, then switch to politics and news, get depressed, cheer up with basketball, and then back to music to stay happy and creative.
If a film was to be made about your life, what song would be on the trailer?
In a perfect world, the song on my movie trailer would be Street Talkin’ by Slick Rick, but more realistically any of Eno’s more pop songs would probably make more sense.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc