Formed in Walla Walla, Washington, Chastity Belt are a powerful female force. When Julia Shapiro, Lydia Lund, Annie Truscott and Gretchen Grimm play together it is just pure fun with no holding back, laughing, smiling and playing upon humorous takes on feminine stereotypes that fill their lyrics.
Chastity Belt released their third album this month (June 2017), I Used To Spend So Much Time Alone. To celebrate, drummer Gretchen has created a mixtape of the songs they’re listening to on tour for you to drive around to this weekend! Over to Gretchen…
What records were you listening to when recording your new album?
We weren’t really listening to too many records while we were recording. After recording all day it’s nice to have a break from music/noise. I remember Julia was watching Stranger Things and got me hooked on that show.
Are there certain songs you listen to on tour?
We all love Elliott Smith and listen to him quite a bit… and Lucinda Williams <3. We have an Avril Lavigne CD in our van that we blasted a bunch on our last tour. Every tour we tend to get into something. One tour we listened to Sia a ton.
If a feature film was made about Chastity Belt, what song would be on the trailer and why?
If there was a movie made about us the song Order by When Saints Go Machine would be in the trailer. Our friend Kate discovered that song while she was in Europe with us and it’s been a staple for us ever since!
- Cheer Up Luv: the photography project sharing womens' experiences with sexual harassment
- “Bold, concise, minimalist and sometimes abstract”: a look at Jeong Hwa Min’s new illustrative approach
- Patrik Mollwing’s illustrations and wigglegrams depict a cast of colourful characters
- Between the pages of Polanski’s suburbia-themed sixth issue
- Hacking Heidelberg: how Erik Spiekermann came to reinvent the printing process
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU