For the second publication by Football Editions, created by Michael Willows and Wayne Trevor Townsend, inspiration was found in the recent African Cup of Nations tournament, hosted in Gabon and won by Cameroon. African Stars is a limited edition book that pairs a legend of African football with a pattern inspired by the former player’s careers for club and country.
“We picked our 1 to 11 of African stars who have retired from the international game and also played for some of Europe’s biggest clubs. It was a shame we could only pick 11,” say the designers. “Africa has provided Europe with some of the most skillful players such as Jay-Jay Okocha and Kanu of Nigeria. It’s brought us pure power in the form of Patrick M’Boma of Cameroon and Didier Drogba from Côte d’Ivoire. We’ve had characters in abundance from the likes of Rigobert Song and Taribo West who sported fluoro green hair at the 2002 World Cup. African football has also brought us some of the most imaginative team kits, often featuring traditional shapes, symbols and patterns that have been influenced from its rich textile heritage.”
The publication marries images of the players, custom patterns and uses a headline typeface NSW01 by Matt Willey with custom ‘A’s inspired by the Adinkra symbols of Ghana. The featured players are Bruce Grobelaar, Samuel Kuffour, Lucas Rabede, Noureddine Naybet, Sunday Oliseh, Seidou Keita, Yaya Toure, El Hadji Diouf, George Weah, Kalusha Bwalya and Roger Milla.
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a “trippers guide” to the iPhone 64
- Alex de Mora on shooting Vice parties and famous footballers
- Natacha Paschal’s “deformed” interpretations of mag covers and fashion ads
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Photographer Adrian Samson plays with space and perspective in this series of “still lifes”
- Photographer Sophie Green captures pagans at Stonehenge's summer solstice
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design