Y’know that dream of leaving London, forming a commune and living off the land? Well, creative studio Featuring Featuring has got it together and is doing just that. Designers on Holiday is an application-based escape, an opportunity to join a bunch of international designers working together to build a campsite that, once complete, will be run as a co-operative.
Last summer saw the inaugural trip, and the construction of a waxed cotton tent, dining area, outdoor cinema and a wood-burning sauna. The site is on the Swedish island of Gotland, set amongst forest, lakes and alien rock formations. The tent was designed in collaboration by Avantika Agarwal and Featuring Featuring, and built with a Swedish timber frame, put together by the designers on the trip. This year they plan to keep working towards the dream of creating the Butlins of the design world, with the construction of huts, tents, kitchens and showers. The campsite is run on solar power and generators, and as well as the designers involved, welcomes the help of holidaymakers and local people in a bid to engage as wide a community as possible.
Designers on Holiday exemplifies the focus of Featuring Featuring, a London-based creative studio run by Tom Gottelier and Bobby Peterson. Applications for Designers on Holiday 2015 are opening soon, maybe see you there!
- Cheer Up Luv: the photography project sharing womens' experiences with sexual harassment
- “Bold, concise, minimalist and sometimes abstract”: a look at Jeong Hwa Min’s new illustrative approach
- Patrik Mollwing’s illustrations and wigglegrams depict a cast of colourful characters
- Between the pages of Polanski’s suburbia-themed sixth issue
- Hacking Heidelberg: how Erik Spiekermann came to reinvent the printing process
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU