Y’know that dream of leaving London, forming a commune and living off the land? Well, creative studio Featuring Featuring has got it together and is doing just that. Designers on Holiday is an application-based escape, an opportunity to join a bunch of international designers working together to build a campsite that, once complete, will be run as a co-operative.
Last summer saw the inaugural trip, and the construction of a waxed cotton tent, dining area, outdoor cinema and a wood-burning sauna. The site is on the Swedish island of Gotland, set amongst forest, lakes and alien rock formations. The tent was designed in collaboration by Avantika Agarwal and Featuring Featuring, and built with a Swedish timber frame, put together by the designers on the trip. This year they plan to keep working towards the dream of creating the Butlins of the design world, with the construction of huts, tents, kitchens and showers. The campsite is run on solar power and generators, and as well as the designers involved, welcomes the help of holidaymakers and local people in a bid to engage as wide a community as possible.
Designers on Holiday exemplifies the focus of Featuring Featuring, a London-based creative studio run by Tom Gottelier and Bobby Peterson. Applications for Designers on Holiday 2015 are opening soon, maybe see you there!
- Four illustrators have their works drawn by Joto at Here 2017
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos