Y’know that dream of leaving London, forming a commune and living off the land? Well, creative studio Featuring Featuring has got it together and is doing just that. Designers on Holiday is an application-based escape, an opportunity to join a bunch of international designers working together to build a campsite that, once complete, will be run as a co-operative.
Last summer saw the inaugural trip, and the construction of a waxed cotton tent, dining area, outdoor cinema and a wood-burning sauna. The site is on the Swedish island of Gotland, set amongst forest, lakes and alien rock formations. The tent was designed in collaboration by Avantika Agarwal and Featuring Featuring, and built with a Swedish timber frame, put together by the designers on the trip. This year they plan to keep working towards the dream of creating the Butlins of the design world, with the construction of huts, tents, kitchens and showers. The campsite is run on solar power and generators, and as well as the designers involved, welcomes the help of holidaymakers and local people in a bid to engage as wide a community as possible.
Designers on Holiday exemplifies the focus of Featuring Featuring, a London-based creative studio run by Tom Gottelier and Bobby Peterson. Applications for Designers on Holiday 2015 are opening soon, maybe see you there!
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project