It’s an assured artist that can take their 2D illustrative artworks and bring the same personality into 3D products. Yet there’s a niche of artists on Etsy who are doing just that. Illustrators with a flair for expression, colour and form, who have made their artworks leap from the page into a plethora of covetable products, extending their creative world into multiple dimensions.
On paper, Charlotte Mei’s creations are packed with character. Her paintings feature spirited brushstrokes and a bold use of negative space, as well as unusual perspective and a playful finesse of composition. This translates seamlessly to her brilliant ceramics, available on her Etsy shop, which have the same bustling energy and lovable characters, for example her Coy plate, Toast plate and Ceramic Selfie.
Laura has been smashing it (pardon the pun) when it comes to ceramics for a number of years now. Her work just seems to get increasingly better and sophisticated, while maintaining its sense of humour, in particular her most recent range of jars. Fusing simple geometric shapes, beautiful glazes and fantastic faces, the collection – including Yellow Haired Jar, Zig Zag jar and Lilac Haired Jar – epitomises the irreverence of contemporary ceramics.
Fleur de Carotte
Fleur de Carotte, real name Amandine, is a French artist based in Brighton. She dabbles in all sorts, from screenprinting to sewing, but her Etsy shop is an outlet for her jewellery and accessories. Amid the range are ceramic rings hand-painted with faces, and they show just how much character can shine through with the simplest of gestures. We particularly like the freckled face with its eyes closed, and the Frida Kahlo ring, complete with flowered headband and powerful brow.
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos