Some people have everything. Take Ethan James Green: at 26 years old, the New York-based photographer already has a successful modelling career behind him. Having featured in campaigns for brands like Calvin Klein and Marc Jacobs, with a helping hand from his mentor David Armstrong, Ethan switched places to work behind the camera, quickly establishing himself as a disruptive force in fashion’s vacuum.
Working mainly in black and white, Ethan shoots strikingly tender portraits which seek to kick the fashion industry into 2017 by questioning preconceived, outdated ideals of beauty. Mixing portraits of industry insiders Tavi Gevinson and Kate Moss with New York’s most scene-shaping forces like nascent fashion brands Vaquera and Moses Gauntlett Cheng and trans actors and activists, Ethan James Green’s beautifully executed editorial rework industry norms and replace them with powerful representations of multifaceted reality.
Having shot for i-D, Love, C☆NDY, Re-Edition, with his latest campaigns including Adidas Originals, Diesel Black Gold and Alexander McQueen, Ethan has secured his place as one of fashion’s most promising ones to watch.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc