“My work was once described as organised chaos, which I think sums it up quite nicely,” says Northern Irish illustrator David McMillan, and we couldn’t agree more. David’s work shows illustration at its busiest, but remains balanced with his use of shape and composition.
Currently based in Bristol after studying illustration at University of the West of England, the majority of David’s work can be seen across publications such as The Guardian, Wired UK, Anorak and Beer Advocate. Working editorially is an ideal fit for David’s style of illustration, opening the pages of a magazine evokes a similar feeling as peeping into his sketchbook. “I love to keep the loose and messy quality of my sketchbook drawings, but when it comes to making any final pieces I think a lot about how the characters are going to interact and fit together to make an interesting or humorous composition.”
For illustrated content David looks to the familiar. “I’ve always enjoyed people watching and observational drawings. With the cities I’ve visited there has always been great characters to take inspiration from,” he tells It’s Nice That. “Then I try to combine that with simplifying them all down into basic or exaggerated shapes to get movement or personality across.” The result is illustration that bursts off the screen or printed page, with layer upon layer of colour and surprising structures.
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a “trippers guide” to the iPhone 64
- Alex de Mora on shooting Vice parties and famous footballers
- Natacha Paschal’s “deformed” interpretations of mag covers and fashion ads
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Photographer Adrian Samson plays with space and perspective in this series of “still lifes”
- Photographer Sophie Green captures pagans at Stonehenge's summer solstice
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design