Donal Sturt of graphic design studio Calm & Collected and artist India Dickinson have curated a group exhibition, Laetus, celebrating five contemporary artists.
Each of the works featured in the exhibition are based on a monochromatic theme. “In contrast to the plethora of brightly coloured imagery London imposes on us, artists Donal Sturt, Alex May Hughes, Lucas Dupuy, Robert Southworth and Joe Townshend will celebrate what is possible with a stripped back colour palette of just black and white,” the collective explains.
Stripped of colour, each of the works take a step back, “from the corporate social media jungle that many millennial of their generation have grown up in, to create a simplified version of reality”. From typographically led pieces to thickly layered painted canvases, the theme is present throughout the work, with disciplines providing variety.
“With the work stripped of its colour, each artist has focused on using their hands to create tangible artworks that are inspired by the modern world and advances in technology, while looking to more traditional techniques of paintings, sign writing and sculpture to create it.”
The exhibition will open with a private view on 9 February 6.30 – 9.30pm, at 91 Peckham Road, in association with Dickinson Gallery.
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- “Dance exists when we run out of things to say”: choreographer Holly Blakey on her life and practice
- From admirer to employee: The New York Times Magazine designer Ben Grandgenett
- Amina Bouajila’s illustrations flit between reality and limbo in colourful hues
- Rufus Newell uses curves and scribbles to depict Greek gods and heroes
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know