Here in the UK, Storm Doris has been tearing a path of destruction through our streets, train lines and day-to-day lives. For some respite and to welcome in the weekend, here’s Best of the Web to get things going. From Alan Aldridge artwork to an announcement from NASA, check out the best things on the internet this week. There’s also a healthy serving of who to follow on social media so get cracking!
Really enjoyed this feature about college radio stations on Pitchfork – great illustrations by Noelle Roth too! (Lucy)
Dezeen has launched a competition to redesign the British passport ahead of the Brexit vote. (Owen)
This (below) is fun and hypnotising – it’s every front page of The New York Times since 1852 in under a minute. (Beccy)
Leo Burnett Israel has turned today’s Tel Aviv Samsung Marathon into a real life video game, inspired by retro games such as Mario Bros. Using the chest chip and stepping pad technology used to record the runners’ results, the brand has added more stepping pads along the marathon course and turned them into game coin collection points, which becomes real donation money. (Jenny)
For anyone that didn’t see, NASA made a pretty interesting announcement this week. (Tim)
Jacqui Kenny has agoraphobia, yet she longs to travel the world. With the help of Google Street View, she’s captured the far away places she wants to visit on her Instagram account. (Beccy)
The latest issue of OKGRL has been released and it is a bonkers, and thought provoking, experiment in publishing. (Owen)
The Guardian shares some of graphic artist, Alan Aldridge’s work, who died on 17 February 2017 aged 73. He was known most for his kaleidoscopic images created for everyone from the Beatles to Andy Warhol and The Who. (Beccy)
Who to follow
Here’s a list of people you should follow on Instagram if you know what’s good for ya.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design