Actual Source describes itself as a “multi-format publisher” which encompasses what they produce, but not the extent of it. It collaborates with a wealth of creatives whether they be artists, designers or writers.
Actual Source has many representations. It is a physical shop promoting the works of contemporary artists from furniture to publications. Its online platform releases limited edition fonts and collaborates with artists, coming together in a biannual publication, Shoplifters. It’s also attached to design studio, Number 04, providing brand identity and art direction by JP Haynie, Chris Mann and Davis Ngarupe. Its clients include Utah Museum of Contemporary Art, Nomia NYC, Need Supply, Hypebeast and Harvard University. Despite being based in Utah, Actual Source’s multifaceted outreach is worldwide.
Recent collaborations from Actual Source include works with Jan Horcik, Raf Rennie, Hassan Rahim and Catalogue, graphic designers and studios of the moment. A range of these collaborations culminate in the recent issue of Shoplifters which “doesn’t have a single identity, it’ size, paper, typography, and tone changes each time it’s published,” Actual Source explains. Designed and art directed by Number 04, each issue collates the artists Actual Source collaborate with, but in a style that represents the publisher too. For instance the typeface choice for issue five, CCTV is by one of its featured designers, Dinamo, and encapsulates the tone of the publication as well as its content.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU