Actual Source describes itself as a “multi-format publisher” which encompasses what they produce, but not the extent of it. It collaborates with a wealth of creatives whether they be artists, designers or writers.
Actual Source has many representations. It is a physical shop promoting the works of contemporary artists from furniture to publications. Its online platform releases limited edition fonts and collaborates with artists, coming together in a biannual publication, Shoplifters. It’s also attached to design studio, Number 04, providing brand identity and art direction by JP Haynie, Chris Mann and Davis Ngarupe. Its clients include Utah Museum of Contemporary Art, Nomia NYC, Need Supply, Hypebeast and Harvard University. Despite being based in Utah, Actual Source’s multifaceted outreach is worldwide.
Recent collaborations from Actual Source include works with Jan Horcik, Raf Rennie, Hassan Rahim and Catalogue, graphic designers and studios of the moment. A range of these collaborations culminate in the recent issue of Shoplifters which “doesn’t have a single identity, it’ size, paper, typography, and tone changes each time it’s published,” Actual Source explains. Designed and art directed by Number 04, each issue collates the artists Actual Source collaborate with, but in a style that represents the publisher too. For instance the typeface choice for issue five, CCTV is by one of its featured designers, Dinamo, and encapsulates the tone of the publication as well as its content.
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Sam Taylor on creating a triptych of weekly illustrations for tech mag T3
- Leah Gordon photographs the Freemasons of contemporary Haiti
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy