Dutch illustrator Aart-Jan Venema has created an otherworldly collection of drawings for this years Green Man Festival. A layered and brilliantly coloured jungle, Aart’s illustrational representation of the festival is archetypal with its consistently great campaigns.
“Every year I just love the illustrators they pick,” says Aart. “I was honoured when they reached out to me. I didn’t expect to be able to tick a festival off my bucket list already.” The illustrator was commissioned after the festival saw his work at last years Pick Me Up festival. “The loose, overarching theme is discovery, which fits my work pretty well,” he explains. “I had lots of freedom to merge my world with that of Green Man, the images are full of little stories and discoveries for the viewer.”
The pairing is ideal for the festival, which takes place during August in Wales, as Aart’s illustrations have you longing for endless summer days already. These illustrations are the first of more artwork to come from the illustrator: “I’m still working on more outings for the festival, posters, parking tickets and maps,” which he is completing with Bread Collective.
- Cheer Up Luv: the photography project sharing womens' experiences with sexual harassment
- “Bold, concise, minimalist and sometimes abstract”: a look at Jeong Hwa Min’s new illustrative approach
- Patrik Mollwing’s illustrations and wigglegrams depict a cast of colourful characters
- Between the pages of Polanski’s suburbia-themed sixth issue
- Hacking Heidelberg: how Erik Spiekermann came to reinvent the printing process
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU