We’re very excited about this week’s Friday Mixtape, curated by legendary label 4AD. Formed in 1980, the artists signed to the label have consistently put one step forward musically as its name suggests.
From its earlier signings such as Cocteau Twins, Pixies and Bauhaus, 4AD has continued a journey on the side of the alternative, releasing records by Deerhunter, Grimes, Future Islands and The National. 2016 and 2017 sees the label investing in bright young things too, with The Lemon Twigs, Methyl Ethel, Aldous Harding and Pixx each contributing to its legacy.
Over to the experts on their mixtape choices…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
A £2 prawn sandwich lament.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Before you wake up.
What song or album is consistently playing in the 4AD office and why?
NR2 by KWC 92, because Sophie hates it.
If a feature film about 4AD was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
Iceblink Luck by Cocteau Twins.
- You lucky devils, it's Best of the Web!
- Bogdan Ceausescu and Sebastian Pren experiment with grids and shapes in their latest zine
- Friday Mixtape: Illustrator and guitarist Sophy Hollington's *feels* mixtape
- Photographer Anastasia Korosteleva's waterborne portraits of Maldivian girls
- We caught up with photographer Adama Jalloh
- Seoul studio Everyday Practice talks about its collaborative approach to design
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again